Translate

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Performance 3 Diary




Today I went to Union Square dressed in rags. I wore old sneakers, sweat pants, an over sized ugly knitted sweater, a dirty denim jacket and a beanie. I walked to the same spot that Raquelle performed a week before, but before performing I decided to sit at the bench and have 2 minutes analyzing my surroundings. There were definitely more people and I wondered if this meant I would get tips. While I was having my philosophical thoughts a couple approached to me and asked me if I believed in God. They gave me a candy cane, a piece of paper with their church information and prayed for me so I could go to heaven when I die. I still don't know how to take it. I do believe it was at their best intentions to give me comfort and salvation in the only way they know. On the other hand I do not believe a prayer would safe me from the cold or starvation if I were to live on the streets, but maybe give me hope to continue.

As I started to play, I noticed 2 things. People recognized my existence immediately after my bow stroked the strings of my violin, but they would also not be comfortable enough to linger and listen to my music or meet my gaze. My first interaction was with a family, the father tipped me and told me that his daughter wanted to hear Titanic. It took me a couple of seconds to remember how that goes, but I eventually played and they seamed pleased, they complimented me, asked me where the nearest bathroom was and left. I also noticed that while playing Titanic two more people tipped me. I thought on how cheesy music is more profitable so I started to play Christmas music.

Overall I my experience was more pleasant than the first time Joe performed. Some people stopped long enough to listen to a music phrase. Some other people even smiled at me and nodded. The time and place of my performance is definitely a big influence on the way people treat me. After about 40 minutes of playing a guard approached me and asked me if I was receiving tips, when I said yes he told me that was not allowed and asked me to leave. He wasn't rude, it seemed like he was just doing his job, but I couldn't help but thinking about how no one tried to kick Raquelle out of there when she was performing.

          


When I am Joe and I play at Union Square I am worth $4 an hour

http://www.photosnack.com/CynthiaBeltrnIslas/performance3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment