Translate

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Performance 2 Diary




Today I went to Union Square dressed up like a stereotypical beautiful woman. I wore high heels, high-waist skinny jeans, a silk button shirt, leather jacket, makeup and a bop hat. Oh! and a wig with long, straight dark hair. Lets call her Raquelle. People stared at me, as soon as I walked out onto the streets, it wasn't judgement, was it admiration? I don't know. I went to the guitar center first because I wanted to get a mic for my performance, I could tell the difference between the way they treated Raquelle versus the way they usually treat Cynthia. They are generally nice and attentive, but suddenly they became chatty, apparently my fake hair and make up turned me into this more approachable person. I had decided before that Raquelle is a people's person so I didn't minded the conversations, it was actually pretty nice and the people were interesting enough to keep talking to.

Just by walking from the bus stop to the Union Square Plaza I got tired of walking in high heels. I had to adjust my walking, go slower, straighter, I also touched up my make up before performing. Being beautiful is exhausting. I started playing, it actually took a while before people started tipping, but they did. The biggest difference I could tell was that I had reactions right away. People looked at me, and constantly met my gaze and smiled at me courteously.  Some people stopped smiled at me and took photographs and videos of me. Others enjoyed the music for a while and then tipped. I noticed a couple of girls who were sitting across from me and moved to the bank next to me, one of them kept of humming to my music. she also tipped me.

After a good hour of playing guy walked toward me and started passionately moving with my music, I couldn't stop smiling to the way he seemed to enjoy it, he eventually interrupted and told me how much he loved music and how grateful he was for getting to hear me play, he asked me if I could play something else and I did, afterward he thanked me again and he introduced me to his friends, we talked for a while about the meaning and importance of music in our life (they were musicians also) and the even asked me for my number to collaborate with me. It took me a day to realize they would get a good surprise if we ever get together to jam.

When I packed my violin and left, I decided to give the tips away as I was walking to the muni station, $1 per person I saw on the streets. I ran out of money after walking one block.



When I am Raquelle and I play in Union Square I am worth $6 and hour


No comments:

Post a Comment